A year ago, I was sitting in an airport in Barcelona eating a stale rice cake when I got a loving e-mail from my mom, wishing I were home celebrating Thanksgiving with my family. A little less inclined to finish my thanksgiving dinner rice cake, I began to think about all the things in my life that I was grateful for. I grabbed a pen and paper and on my flight home, I scribbled down 50 things I was grateful for in that moment. I think it’s important to be grateful every single day. I think it’s important to be grateful when we least want to be grateful. Regardless, it is Thanksgiving, and as an honour to the tradition I started last year, here are 50 things I am grateful for today, and every day.
1. Coffee and cute coffee shops
2. My dogs!!
3. Sunrises, sunsets, mountains and oceans. Thank you for making me feel small and humble and filling life with your constant beauty
4. My health
5. When a good song comes on the radio when you’re driving and you have time to listen to the whole thing before you reach your destination
6. Cozy socks
7. Big sweaters
8. Spontaneous adventures and people who want to come on them with me
10. My friends. I have been spoiled by your love, kindness, and laughter throughout the years. You guys are amazing.
11. The internet because too many of my best friends are scattered around the world and I couldn’t stand not being in touch with all you beautiful humans
12. Living at home and not having to pay rent (HALLELUJAH)
13. Having a place to live, period.
14. Being cozied up in bed surrounded by pillows
15. All memories, experiences and places I have gone
16. When it’s cold outside but still really sunny so when you sit in your car it’s super warm
17. Education, something we all take for granted
18. That it is my last year at university
19. For the amazing past two decades in Thunder Bay
20. Greys Anatomy and Thursday date nights with the wine bra bitches
21. I am also grateful for wine bras and wine to go in them
23. Thai fooooood
24. Travel and adventures
25. When mom buys you pizza
26. Airplanes and flying (also not having turbulence is a plus)
27. People who make me laugh when I’m having a bad day. Bless you funny souls
28. I am grateful for this photo
29. For Christmas lights
30. And Elf (like, the movie)
31. And Christmas time in general
32. My camera and all the moments its been able to capture
33. Late night/early morning conversations // any conversation that involved people speaking honestly, with an open heart and mind
34. All my travel friends
35. Feminism. I am soo thankful for all the women and men who made it possible for me to even express this, have opinions, get an education, or be respected as an equal. Not only the ones who made this possible, but the women and men who continue to make it possible.
36. Road trips and being able to drive
37. Running which helps de-stress
38. Workouts with my girl mads tay (COME HOME TO ME)
39. The boulevard bitches and mercury (the boat)
40. Boulevard Lake
41. Warm Blankets
43. Kristine and her taco dip (but honestly, just for being the greatest friend and mom someone could have) I think we could all take a lesson in how to be as selfless, generous and caring as you.
44. Anthony Frederick Miller aka A-Mills aka Tony. For laughing at my jokes even when they aren’t funny, for calling me beautiful even when I am sleep deprived and sick as could be, for coming with me on random adventures, for supporting my unrealistic dreams of photography and writing, and for just being the coolest guy I know
45. Being in Thunder Bay for fall
46. Living in an area so full of natural beauty where so many different hikes are within minutes
47. The ability to communicate with others in a different language
49. Being born into a life full of opportunity and privilege
50. To be living the life I want
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!!