**I don’t work as a flight attendant anymore, but I found this post I wrote months ago and still find it very relatable so I thought I’d share!**
I’ve been thinking about all the things that people give me weird looks for but that have become very normalized to me. Flight attendants are a strange species, and we do some very weird things without second guessing it. Here are my observations of weird things flight attendants do:
- Order food with your crew and then go to your hotel rooms separately to eat it and be very content about that
- Drinking out of 1.5 L Dasani water bottles every day like thats normal
- Eating food with stir sticks because you forgot to grab more plastic forks and spoons like usual
- Day 4 of the pairing rolls around and everyone starts eating all the crap in the entire world. I’m talking all the junk that’s found on that buy on board menu x10. Mental and Physical exhaustion = calories dont count.
- This includes Kit Kats and Diet Coke for breakfast
- Making pasta at 8:30 am on your day off because you’re starving and it feels like lunch/dinner time
- Obsessively being on time. Check in at 3:37 – you can expect everyone will be there for 3:37.
- Waking up at 4 am on your day off thinking you have to go to work (and for some unfortunate people actually getting ready and starting to drive to work before you realize…. you don’t work)
- Waking up and not knowing what city you’re in
- NEVER knowing what day of the week it is. We don’t even know what month it is.
- Buying Starbucks almost every day because we are all delusional and under the impression we can afford that
- Going to Europe for the weekend because that seems like a normal thing to do
- Never prepare for flights like most people do when we have to catch a flight as a passenger since we essentially live on planes
- Pros at occupying time. We spend a lot of time waiting around – we have lots of games on our phones, we are very good at sudoku and crosswords and we always carry books or things to keep us busy
Be kind to your crews!!!